Wonderful White Celebrations

In the first of a two-part piece, Satty, student journalist, reflects movingly on the funeral, following Indian practice, of her mother-  My  world  cracked  the  day  my  mother  died.  Amrit  is  my  eldest  sister  and  Simrit my   middle  sister,  both  knew  she  did  not  have  long,  but  because  of  my  mental illnesses  they  thought  it  was  best  not  to tell  me.  Was  it  the  right  decision  for  them to  take  away  my  time  with  her,  I  will  never  know  now,  it is  too  late. I  got  the  call  and  the  rest  is  blurred.  I  can not  remember who  took  me  to Slough,  all  I  remember  is  rushing  to  see  her  before  the  undertakers  took  her. I  made  it  just  in  time. Next  day  again  is  a  blur.  I  remember  people  coming  to console  us.  If  that  is  what you  can  call  it.  In  our  culture  when  someone  dies  it  is  up  to  the  family  to  feed the  guests.  This  I struggled  with  a  lot.  For  me  I  was  grieving  and  all  I  wanted  to do  was  cry  and  be  left  alone.  That  was  not  going  to  happen  any  day  soon. I  decided  to  do  two  things  to  help  me  cope  with  this  situation.  One  was  to make  a  memory  album  with  pictures  from  everyone  and  the  second  was  a condolence  book.  It  kept  me  busy  and  the  most  important  thing  was  it  kept my  mouth  shut,  as  I  have  a  tendency  to  argue  and  disagree  with  my  family. This  time  I  had  to  keep  my  mouth  closed.  This  whole  process  had  to  be utterly and  totally  perfect.  I  did  not  know  any  of  the  traditions  that  go  with  an  Indian funeral  and  because  my  mum  was  a  great  grandmother  the  ceremony  had  to  be  a grand  affair. I  did  my  very  best  to do  as  I  was  told,  be  a  good  girl  but  I  have  to  say  I  was bursting  to  tell  everyone  to  go  do  one  and  leave  us  to  grieve  as  a  family.I  am  the  youngest  in  the  family  and  was  not  used  to  being  included  in  main decisions,  this  was  a  time  I  had  to  force  myself  to  be  included  in  what  was happening. Simrit  the  middle  sister  moved  in  with  my  parents  when  my  mum  had  her  stroke.  She  cared  for her  and  did  everything.  There  was  no  way  I  could  of  done  it,  I struggled  every  time  I  went  over  to  see  my  mum  lying  in  her  hospital bed  in  her  bedroom.  So many  thoughts  went  through  my  mind every  time. Before  the  funeral  the  women  of  the  family  have  to  go  and  wash  the  body andOMGOSH  that  was jaw  droppingly  hard.  I  was  so  stiff  excuse  the  pun.  My  anxiety was  at  def con 5  and  I  was  ready  to explode.  I  had  to  keep  so  much  held  in.  So I  did  the  only thing  that  I could.  Pray  that  I  could  be  strong  like  my  sisters.I  remember  getting  into  my  brother's  car  and he  offered  me  a strawberry  chewing gum  and  since  then  it  is  the  only  chewing  gum  I  have. The  day  finally  came  to  say  our  final  goodbye.  Nothing  prepares  you  for  that  final stage.  I do  not  think  anyone  slept, I remember  most  of  us  were  up until  the early hours  writing  our  speeches.  I  helped  my  nieces  Reah  and  Alisha  to  mould  their thoughts  onto  paper.  Finally  I  felt  useful. At  8.00am  the  Naam  Simran  began  which  is  a  prayer.  They  bought  my  mum home  for  everyone  to  pay  their   final  respects,   this  is  called  Antim  Dharshan. People  laid food  and  flowers  all  around  my  mother  for  her  last  journey. She  looked  so  peaceful  but  cold,  having  all  the  colourful  petals  around  her  made her  skin  fill  with  colour.  My  mum  never  smiled  when  she  was  alive,  but  at  that  very  moment  she  could  not  of  looked  any  happier. Time  was  ticking  and  as  usual  we  were  running  late, I swear  it  is  a  Indian  trait. The  men  took  hold  of  her  white  coffin  and  walked  out  into  the  sunshine,  gently placed  her  in  the  most  stunning  white carriage  with  two  regal  white  horses.  I  went over  to  the  horses  and  had  a  little  word  in  their  ears. These  magnificent  creatures  listened  to  my  whisper  and trotted  gently  to the Gudwara.  They  we  ate  and  paid  our  respects.  The  whole  feel  of  the  funeralcompared  to  my  brother's  was  polar  opposite.  My  brother  had  so  much  to  live  for whilst  my  mother  had  lived  and  seen  the  world  change  and  her  family  grow.Where  did  the  time  go? -  all  of  a  sudden  we  were  at  Slough  crematorium.  I  was  standing  at  the  side  with  my  sister  and  nieces.  There  were  so  many  people  and funny  thing  is  most  of  them  did  not  know  my  mum  had  three  daughters.  I  stood at  the  pulpit  with  my  remembrance  speech  knowing  these  people  did not  have  a clue  who  I was. I did  not  care and  nor  did  it  matter  to  me.  I said  my  peace. Before I  knew  it  all  my  family  had  gone  behind  the  big  red  curtains,  I  sat  forged  to  the bench,  crumbling, crying  and  inconsolable. She  was  GONE. Some  people  came  up  to  me,  I  have  no  idea  what  they  were  saying I  just  wanted out.  We  all  cramped  into  cars  and  headed  back  to  the  Gudwara  for  the  Bhog ceremony.  Everyone  was  to  eat.  We   placed   the  condolences  book  and  the photograph   album  at  the  edge  of  a  table  for  everyone  to  see  and  write. There  was  no  time. No  time  to  grieve. No  time  to  reflect. No  time  to  mourn. Before  I  knew  it  we  were  back  home.  Everyone  was  here.  The  family  together which  was  a  rare  occasion.  There  was  laughter  and  smiles  and  a  quiet completeness.  It  was  such  a  weird  feeling  being  in  her  home.  The  house  was  alive  but  mum  was  not  there.  If  she  was  I  know  she  would  of  been  so  proud  of her  family.